April 2024

What’s going on at LTC?

• Welcome to Term 2
  • Important Dates for Term 2
  • LTC Enrolment Information Night
  • 2025 School Year Enrolments are Open
  • YWCA’s She Leads College Conference
  • Hip Hop Dance Workshop with Leena from Fresh Funk
  • Richard Fox’s 36 Years of Service to ACT Public Schools
  • LTC’s Prof. Dr. Nadira Pardo Leads Mental Health Initiatives in the ACT
  • Explore Student Support @ College Life
  • The N.E.S.T – Nurturing and Empowering Students for Tomorrow
  • LTC Library – Keys to Success
  • Legal Aid
  • Gratitude to Woolworths Tuggeranong: Weekly Fruit Donations Resume
  • Mobile Phone Policy
  • Travelling to and from school – Bike and pedestrian safety    
  • Free parent and carer online safety (eSafety) information webinars
  • Become a Homestay Host
  • Menslink Supporting Young Men in Canberra
  • Telephone Parenting Counselling
  • Future of Education Equity Fund
  • Blog information

Welcome to Term 2

Welcome back, students, staff, and LTC community, to the exciting start of Term 2! As we dive into another term of learning and growth, we’re thrilled to have everyone back on campus.

We also extend a warm invitation to prospective students and their families to join us for our upcoming Enrolment Information Night. This event is a fantastic opportunity to explore our campus, meet our dedicated staff, and learn more about the programs we offer. Whether you’re just beginning your college journey or looking to make a change, we’re here to support you every step of the way.

We look forward to meeting you and showcasing all that our school has to offer! See you there!

Important Dates for Term 2

LTC Enrolment Information Night

Experience Lake Tuggeranong College firsthand! Join us for our enrolment information night on Thursday, May 9th, 5:30pm-7:30pm. Tour the campus, meet staff, and explore our programs. Discover our commitment to student success and inclusive learning. Whether you’re starting your college journey or seeking a change, join us for an exciting event and see what LTC has to offer!

2025 School Year Enrolments are Open

Enrolments for the 2025 school year are now open for students starting at a new school. Visit education.act.gov.au for the online application link and information about the school in your child’s Priority Enrolment Area.

School information sessions for prospective students are being held throughout May. Alternately, visit school websites to find out more or contact the school directly. Apply by 7 June to receive an offer from 29 July 2024.

LTC Students Attend She Leads College Conference

Last term, 9 young leaders from LTC attended the YWCA’s She Leads College Conference, Rise Up. Together with around 100 other young women and non-binary students from Canberra and the surrounding regions, they heard from inspirational keynote speakers, panellists and an MC who in turn talked about their ‘rise up’ journeys. They talked of resilience, determination, strength and how they overcame life’s adversities on the way. The students also attended two workshops where they were able to mingle with other students. A good day was had by all!

Hip Hop Dance Workshop with Leena from Fresh Funk

Our Year 11 and 12 Dance students recently participated in an engaging hip hop workshop led by Leena Wall from Fresh Funk! Guided by Leena’s expertise, students explored the rhythmic movements of hip hop culture.

The workshop, organised by our Dance teacher, Amelia, provided students with a platform to express themselves creatively and develop their dance skills.

Many thanks to Leena for her instruction and to Amelia for coordinating this enriching experience for our students.

Richard Fox’s 36 Years of Service to ACT Public Schools

After 36 years of dedicated service to ACT Public Schools, our Deputy Principal Richard Fox is officially beginning his retirement journey.

From Curtin Primary School to Japan, Melrose High School to Alfred Deakin High School, and of course LTC, Richard has left a lasting impact on the educational landscape.

As he sets sail into his next chapter, which includes travels to NYC, Nova Scotia and Central Europe, we bid him a fond farewell.

Fair winds and following seas, Richard!

LTC’s Prof. Dr. Nadira Pardo Leads Mental Health Initiatives in the ACT

One of our newer teachers to LTC, Prof. Dr. Nadira Pardo, MAPS, is currently serving as the President of the ACT Branch of the Australian Psychological Society (APS). 

She recently represented the APS at the launch of the Schools Wellness Program at Parliament House. This program seeks to involve parents, students and community members in a preventive approach to mental health and wellbeing, and introducing evidence-based approaches to wellness by provision of educational based programs into schools to raise awareness and to identify anyone who may be involved in situations that potentially create mental illness.

The ACT Branch of the APS will be hosting a series of guest speakers who are professional practitioners in the field of Psychology, and LTC students will be invited to attend these events throughout the coming year. The first is planned for June, and details will be provided to students studying Psychology with Prof. Pardo at the college this year.

Explore Student Support @ College Life

Hey LTC Students! 🌐

Student Support @ College Life: Check out the site for valuable resources and support. 💻

https://sites.google.com/…/studentsupportcollegelife/home

The N.E.S.T – Nurturing and Empowering Students for Tomorrow

The N.E.S.T is a room in the library where we host external services who can assist and support our students and their families.

See below for our schedule for Term 2. Please keep an eye on our Instagram and Facebook pages for information on the services and any changes or additions.

Please note: YWCA Youth Engagement Team do not only support young women, they support all young people.

LTC Library – Keys to Success

Legal Aid

Lake Tuggeranong College offers free legal assistance for students and families through the Lawyers in Colleges Program! Vivian from Legal Aid ACT will be available on campus every Friday. S

Gratitude to Woolworths Tuggeranong: Weekly Fruit Donations Resume

Once again a huge THANK YOU to the team at Woolworths Tuggeranong who have generously agreed to donate two boxes of fruit, every week again this year. The fruit is made available for all students at our College Life help desk 🍎😀

Mobile Phone Policy

You are reminded that the new Personal Use of Communication Devices in ACT Public Schools Policy now applies in all schools from term 2, 2024.

For students at LTC this means:

· Mobile phones and other personal communications devices must be silenced and put away during class time.

Exemptions can be requested if a student needs their device/assistive technology:

· to manage or monitor a medical condition

· to help meet caring or family responsibilities

· to support adjustments for students with disability as part of an agreed individual learning plan.

If you have not applied for an exemption, please speak with our front office.

You can read more about the policy including frequently asked questions on the Education Directorate website.

Travelling to and from school – Bike and pedestrian safety      

The Ride or Walk to School (RWTS) and It’s Your Move Safe Cycle (IYMSC) programs are initiatives of the ACT Government, delivered by Transport and City Services Canberra. These programs provide all ACT schools with access to curriculum aligned resources to teach students how to cycle safely and independently to school to increase active travel rates and improve safety on our roads around schools. The program consists of teacher training (Safe Cycle) and resources, various supporting materials, parental engagement material and dedicated support from the program manager.

The School Safety Program also offers:

· access to free bike hire delivered to and from school to facilitate program delivery

· online teacher training programs

· interactive professional learning workshops for staff

· lesson plans and resource manuals

· program merchandise and active travel initiatives

· downloadable resources and materials

· dedicated support for program delivery and active travel events.

For more information, visit Transport Canberra City Services School programs or contact us directly at TCCS.SchoolSaftey@act.gov.au.

Free parent and carer online safety (eSafety) information webinars

The Online Safety Education team are committed to supporting school communities to develop their online safety skills and knowledge. The team aim to increase the number of safe and positive online experiences students have and reduce the number of online safety incidents that impact on learning environments.

There are multiple webinars running each term with both afternoon and evening times available that will help your family be more confident and safer online by:

· understanding online safety and risks young people face

· learning strategies to prevent and respond to online issues

· supporting your child to be safe online

· knowing where to go for further support.

Register for the Parent & Carer Online Safety Webinars – 2024 online at

https://bit.ly/2024_OnlineSafetyWebinar_RSVP

Become a Homestay Host

Are you interested in broadening your family’s cultural experiences and forming lifelong friendships?

The ACT Education Directorate is seeking Homestay hosts for international students planning to study at an ACT public high school or college.

By becoming a Homestay host, you’ll not only provide a room and meals, but you’ll also welcome a young person into your family and support their growth as they gain new perspectives, confidence, English fluency, and academic and essential life skills.

International students participating in the Homestay program are aged 16 years or above. If you have the time to support a student’s social wellbeing and academic endeavours, and have an interest in other cultures, we would love to hear from you.

A weekly payment will be provided to help cover the costs of living expenses.

Find out more at bit.ly/HomestayCanberra or email ieu@act.gov.au, or call 02 6205 9194.

Menslink Supporting Young Men in Canberra

Menslink has provided free counselling to young guys throughout the Canberra region for 20+ years.

If your young guy is having a hard time, is anxious, uncertain or fearful of his future and could really use someone to talk to, get in touch!

Our wait times are relatively low so we’re ready to help when your young guy needs it.

We provide a welcoming and supportive environment for young guys to share their concerns and worries and we provide tips and strategies to get them through those tough times that many of them are facing right now.

Menslink Counselling sessions are completely confidential and are available to any young guy aged 10-25. There are no fees or charges, and no limits to the number of sessions. You don’t need a mental health plan and we are available during school terms and school holidays.

Do you think your young guy would really benefit from a counselling session? If so, have a chat with them and head to www.menslink.org.au, hit the ‘Get Help’ button, fill in the form and we’ll get back to you, generally the same or next business day.

If you need more info on how to have that chat with them, just email admin@menslink.org.au or call 6287 2226 and we will send you some information.

Telephone Parenting Counselling

Parentline ACT is a not-for-profit organisation offering a free confidential telephone service for parents and families in the ACT and surrounding area. Calls are answered by workers who are professionally trained to help you with information and support.

Parentline ACT assists any person who wants information or someone to talk to about parenting. You may be a mothers, father, single parent, co-parent, step-parent, guardian, grandparent, godparent, friend, carer, service provider or another relative.

Immediate counselling and support over the telephone;

• Information on other services;
  • Referral to other agencies;
  • Ideas and resources about parenting.

We can also arrange to talk with community groups or organisations about parenting.

(02) 6287 3833

parentline@parentlineact.org.au

Future of Education Equity Fund

Applications are now open for the Future of Education Equity Fund for the 2024 school year. Providing yearly one-off payments to low-income Canberra families with students from Preschool to Year 12 level, and independent students, the Fund helps cover costs associated with schooling. Check your eligibility now!

Apply online at https://bit.ly/3SH0cUr

Blog information

Do you have a positive story to share about our students, alumni, staff, or the wider college community?

We’re excited to showcase stories, photos, and artworks on our blog.

Please send your submissions to scott.montoyaval@ed.act.edu.au