March 2024

What’s going on at LTC?

• Achievements and Vibrancy at LTC
  • Important Dates for Term 1
  • Explore Student Support @ College Life
  • The N.E.S.T – Nurturing and Empowering Students for Tomorrow
  • Celebrating Harmony Day with a Mini-Multicultural Festival
  • The Tempest Drama Production
  • Highlights from Our Careers Expo
  • LTC Students Shine at AFP Forensics Lab
  • Glass Art: A Workshop with Kirstie Rae
  • Year 11 Tertiary Students Navigate the AST Trial
  • Contemporary Dance and Lyrical Dance Workshops
  • Alex’s Culinary Triumphs at the Canberra Show
  • Finalist in the Lions Youth of the Year Program
  • LTC Girls Basketball
  • Byron’s School-based Traineeship
  • Year 11 and Year 12 Information Evening
  • LTC Library – Keys to Success
  • Legal Aid
  • Gratitude to Woolworths Tuggeranong: Weekly Fruit Donations Resume
  • Student-free days in 2024
  • Travelling to and from school – Bike and pedestrian safety      
  • BSSS Exam Supervisors Needed
  • Free parent and carer online safety (eSafety) information webinars
  • CREATIVITYCON Market
  • Right to Disconnect
  • Become a Homestay Host
  • Menslink Supporting Young Men in Canberra
  • Telephone Parenting Counselling
  • Future of Education Equity Fund
  • Blog information

Achievements and Vibrancy at LTC

Greetings, LTC community!

March has been an exhilarating month at LTC, filled with a plethora of achievements and vibrant moments that showcase the spirit of our college community.

From the colourful festivities of Harmony Day to the captivating performances of “The Tempest,” our students have been at the forefront of creativity and excellence.

Join us as we spotlight the standout events of the month, including the Mini-Multicultural Festival, successful endeavours at the AFP Forensics Lab, the immersive glass art workshop led by Kirstie Rae, and more.

Our students have shone brightly, from Alex’s culinary triumphs at the Canberra Show to navigating the AST trial with determination and grace.

As we look back on March, we’re reminded of the boundless talent and resilience within our community. Let’s come together to celebrate these achievements and the vibrant spirit that makes LTC truly exceptional! 🎉✨

Important Dates for Term 1

Explore Student Support @ College Life

Hey LTC Students! 🌐

Student Support @ College Life: Check out the site for valuable resources and support. 💻

https://sites.google.com/…/studentsupportcollegelife/home

The N.E.S.T – Nurturing and Empowering Students for Tomorrow

The N.E.S.T is a room in the library where we host external services who can assist and support our students and their families.

See below for our schedule for Term 1. Please keep an eye on our Instagram and Facebook pages for information on the services and any changes or additions.

Please note: YWCA Youth Engagement Team do not only support young women, they support all young people.

Celebrating Harmony Day with a Mini-Multicultural Festival

LTC’s Harmony Day festivities showcased a dynamic celebration of multiculturalism within our courtyard, uniting students and staff in a shared recognition of diversity. Through captivating performances and a diverse array of global cuisine, attendees experienced firsthand the richness of our cultural tapestry. As the event concluded, it underscored the importance of fostering inclusivity and understanding within our community. Let’s leverage this momentum to cultivate a culture of respect and appreciation for diverse perspectives, both within our college and beyond.

The Tempest Drama Production

Last week, LTC’s stage was alight with talent as our drama production featuring scenes from Shakespeare’s The Tempest came to life! We extend our heartfelt congratulations to the exceptional cast and crew for their outstanding performance. Special recognition goes to Catherine for her hard work and dedication in bringing this production to fruition. Bravo to all involved!

Highlights from Our Careers Expo

The recent Careers Expo at LTC was an absolute success, and we’re thrilled to have had such an incredible turnout! A heartfelt thank you goes out to all the participating companies and organisations for making this event so valuable for our students. The insightful discussions and networking opportunities provided our students with a deeper understanding of exciting career paths while allowing them to connect with industry professionals. We extend our gratitude to Lalita and Carlene for their exceptional organisation, as well as to all stallholders for their dedication in guiding our students toward success.

LTC Students Shine at AFP Forensics Lab

Five of our talented students—Sophie Moriarty, Emma White, Lamis Kabalan, Natasha Perkovic, and Brooke Holmes—had an incredible opportunity to visit the AFP forensics lab for the Australian Federal Police International Day for Women and Girls in Science event. They immersed themselves in forensic activities, analysing fibers, identifying substances, taking fingerprints, and evaluating signature security. Additionally, they were treated to an exclusive tour and heard from the Chief Forensics Scientist. Their participation not only represented LTC with pride but also showcased the power of women and girls in STEM fields. Congratulations to these outstanding students on their remarkable achievement!

Glass Art: A Workshop with Kirstie Rae

Recently, our students had the privilege of immersing themselves in a captivating glass art workshop led by Kirstie Rae, a renowned Glass Artist from Canberra. Following the workshop, Kirstie generously shared insights into her artistic practice and the inspiration behind some of her internationally showcased glass artworks. The opportunity to explore Kirstie’s artistic journey and gain insights into her internationally acclaimed pieces was truly inspiring for our students. We’re grateful for Kirstie’s guidance and expertise, which ignited a spark of creativity and passion within each participant!

Year 11 Tertiary Students Navigate the AST Trial

In Week 2, our Year 11 tertiary students embarked on their first trial AST paper, marking a significant step in their academic journey. The results from this trial, along with other crucial information, will play a pivotal role in shaping teaching and learning strategies for the remainder of the year. At LTC, we recognize the importance of the AST as a key component of the tertiary package, and our students are diligently prepared through trials and prep sessions over the next two years. We commend our Year 11s for their strong dedication and commendable efforts in this trial, reflecting their commitment to academic excellence and growth.

Contemporary Dance and Lyrical Dance Workshops

Our Year 11 and 12 Dance students had the incredible opportunity to dive into the world of dance with two remarkable workshops! First, they explored Contemporary Dance with the talented Debora Di Centa from Ausdance ACT, delving into mesmerizing movements and emotional depths. Then, they ventured into the enchanting world of Lyrical Dance with the phenomenal Charlotte Whiter from Acclaim Dance and Cheer Co. Our students were truly immersed in these art forms, honing their skills and expanding their horizons under expert guidance. Huge thanks to Debora and Charlotte for sharing their expertise and passion, and to Ausdance ACT and Acclaim Dance and Cheer Co. for making these collaborations possible.

Alex’s Culinary Triumphs at the Canberra Show

Congratulations to Alex, a talented Year 11 student at our college! Alex has been participating in the Canberra Show for as long as he can remember, showcasing his skills in craft and cooking competitions. This year, his entries included a chocolate cake, jam drop biscuits, tomato relish, and lemon butter. We’re thrilled to announce that Alex’s chocolate cake won first place and junior cookery champion, while his jam drop biscuits also clinched first place! His lemon butter earned second place, and his tomato relish took third place. Alex’s outstanding achievements are a testament to his dedication and skill in the kitchen. Well done, Alex!

Finalist in the Lions Youth of the Year Program

Congratulations to Sally Johns, one of our Year 11 students, for reaching the final of the Lions Youth of the Year program! The Lions Youth of the Year program has a rich history of nurturing leadership skills in Australian students nearing the end of their high school journey. It emphasises qualities like community and school involvement, public speaking, academics, and cultural engagement, aiming to empower the next generation of outstanding young Australians. Sally’s achievement is a testament to her leadership, dedication, and commitment to excellence. Well done, Sally!

LTC Girls Basketball

The LTC Girls Basketball team had an epic season, competing against colleges all over Canberra! Throughout the season, we learned valuable lessons, forged new friendships, and had an absolute ball on the court! A huge THANKS goes out to our dedicated and committed players for their effort and determination. Your hard work has truly paid off, and we couldn’t be prouder of the teamwork and sportsmanship you’ve demonstrated throughout the season. Well done, ladies!

Byron’s School-based Traineeship

Congratulations to Byron for successfully completing his School-based Traineeship! Byron has earned a certificate III in Individual Support (Aged Care) while working diligently at Goodwin Aged Care. Balancing his work placement with his year 12 studies, Byron has demonstrated exceptional dedication and perseverance. Well done, Byron! We wish you all the best in your future pathways!

Year 11 and Year 12 Information Evening

A heartfelt thank you to everyone who attended our Year 11 and 12 information evening! Your presence contributed to making the event a resounding success. We’re excited about the journey ahead and are grateful for your support and engagement. Here’s to an exciting and fulfilling academic year ahead!

LTC Library – Keys to Success

Legal Aid

Lake Tuggeranong College offers free legal assistance for students and families through the Lawyers in Colleges Program! Vivian from Legal Aid ACT will be available on campus every Friday. S

Gratitude to Woolworths Tuggeranong: Weekly Fruit Donations Resume

Once again a huge THANK YOU to the team at Woolworths Tuggeranong who have generously agreed to donate two boxes of fruit, every week again this year. The fruit is made available for all students at our College Life help desk 🍎😀

Student-free days in 2024

In 2024, there will be 4 student-free days for ACT public schools. These are the first day of each
school term:

• Term 1, Monday 29 January 2024
  • Term 2, Monday 29 April 2024
  • Term 3, Monday 22 July 2024
  • Term 4, Monday 14 October 2024.

We use student-free days for staff development, enabling us to plan in a student-free environment.
Student-free planning days have been expanded from 1 to 4 days from 2024 as part of our new
Teaching Staff Enterprise Agreement which prioritises better teacher workloads for educational
leadership, teaching and learning.

For all school term dates, visit the Term Dates page: https://www.education.act.gov.au/publicschool-life/term_dates_and_public_holidays

Travelling to and from school – Bike and pedestrian safety      

The Ride or Walk to School (RWTS) and It’s Your Move Safe Cycle (IYMSC) programs are initiatives of the ACT Government, delivered by Transport and City Services Canberra. These programs provide all ACT schools with access to curriculum aligned resources to teach students how to cycle safely and independently to school to increase active travel rates and improve safety on our roads around schools. The program consists of teacher training (Safe Cycle) and resources, various supporting materials, parental engagement material and dedicated support from the program manager.

The School Safety Program also offers:

· access to free bike hire delivered to and from school to facilitate program delivery

· online teacher training programs

· interactive professional learning workshops for staff

· lesson plans and resource manuals

· program merchandise and active travel initiatives

· downloadable resources and materials

· dedicated support for program delivery and active travel events.

For more information, visit Transport Canberra City Services School programs or contact us directly at TCCS.SchoolSaftey@act.gov.au.

BSSS Exam Supervisors Needed

Free parent and carer online safety (eSafety) information webinars

The Online Safety Education team are committed to supporting school communities to develop their online safety skills and knowledge. The team aim to increase the number of safe and positive online experiences students have and reduce the number of online safety incidents that impact on learning environments.

There are multiple webinars running each term with both afternoon and evening times available that will help your family be more confident and safer online by:

· understanding online safety and risks young people face

· learning strategies to prevent and respond to online issues

· supporting your child to be safe online

· knowing where to go for further support.

Register for the Parent & Carer Online Safety Webinars – 2024 online at

https://bit.ly/2024_OnlineSafetyWebinar_RSVP

CREATIVITYCON Market

Right to Disconnect

Our teachers and school staff work hard every day to provide the best outcomes for every student.

Preparing for great teaching takes time. It is important that our teachers and school staff have time outside their core hours to rest and reset.

Communication with parents and carers is important to us and our staff will always work to get back to your enquiries within a reasonable timeframe. We aim to do this within 3 workings days. If your matter is urgent we will get back to you as quickly as possible.

There is no expectation that teachers respond to queries from families during their personal and family time.

Every student and every family is important to us. By respecting the time of our teachers, you are helping to make time for great teaching.

We want to continue to work closely with you on your child’s learning at school and do our best to respond to you in a timely manner.

We update families on what is happening at our school in a number of ways from information nights, emails, notes, newsletters, and social media. We encourage you to stay in touch with our school through these channels.

Become a Homestay Host

Are you interested in broadening your family’s cultural experiences and forming lifelong friendships?

The ACT Education Directorate is seeking Homestay hosts for international students planning to study at an ACT public high school or college.

By becoming a Homestay host, you’ll not only provide a room and meals, but you’ll also welcome a young person into your family and support their growth as they gain new perspectives, confidence, English fluency, and academic and essential life skills.

International students participating in the Homestay program are aged 16 years or above. If you have the time to support a student’s social wellbeing and academic endeavours, and have an interest in other cultures, we would love to hear from you.

A weekly payment will be provided to help cover the costs of living expenses.

Find out more at bit.ly/HomestayCanberra or email ieu@act.gov.au, or call 02 6205 9194.

Menslink Supporting Young Men in Canberra

Menslink has provided free counselling to young guys throughout the Canberra region for 20+ years.

If your young guy is having a hard time, is anxious, uncertain or fearful of his future and could really use someone to talk to, get in touch!

Our wait times are relatively low so we’re ready to help when your young guy needs it.

We provide a welcoming and supportive environment for young guys to share their concerns and worries and we provide tips and strategies to get them through those tough times that many of them are facing right now.

Menslink Counselling sessions are completely confidential and are available to any young guy aged 10-25. There are no fees or charges, and no limits to the number of sessions. You don’t need a mental health plan and we are available during school terms and school holidays.

Do you think your young guy would really benefit from a counselling session? If so, have a chat with them and head to www.menslink.org.au, hit the ‘Get Help’ button, fill in the form and we’ll get back to you, generally the same or next business day.

If you need more info on how to have that chat with them, just email info@menslink.org.au or call 6287 2226 and we will send you some information.

Telephone Parenting Counselling

Parentline ACT is a not-for-profit organisation offering a free confidential telephone service for parents and families in the ACT and surrounding area. Calls are answered by workers who are professionally trained to help you with information and support.

Parentline ACT assists any person who wants information or someone to talk to about parenting. You may be a mothers, father, single parent, co-parent, step-parent, guardian, grandparent, godparent, friend, carer, service provider or another relative.

Immediate counselling and support over the telephone;

• Information on other services;
  • Referral to other agencies;
  • Ideas and resources about parenting.

We can also arrange to talk with community groups or organisations about parenting.

(02) 6287 3833

parentline@parentlineact.org.au

Future of Education Equity Fund

Applications are now open for the Future of Education Equity Fund for the 2024 school year. Providing yearly one-off payments to low-income Canberra families with students from Preschool to Year 12 level, and independent students, the Fund helps cover costs associated with schooling. Check your eligibility now!

Apply online at https://bit.ly/3SH0cUr

Blog information

Do you have a positive story to share about our students, alumni, staff, or the wider college community?

We’re excited to showcase stories, photos, and artworks on our blog.

Please send your submissions to scott.montoyaval@ed.act.edu.au